Re: [1904.2 TF] Proposed baseline for IEEE 1904.2

Hmmm….

There is currently already a UMT Tunnel Multiplexer, so I guess UMT PDU Multiplexer would work.

—kan—

On Aug 21, 2018, at 2:41 PM, Mark Laubach <000006d52ee8f1bc-dmarc-request@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Kevin,

The block only does PDU (frame) multiplexing, correct?  So how about “UMT Multiplexer” or “UMT PDU Multiplexer”?

Mark

From: Kevin A Noll [mailto:ieee.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2018 7:51 AM
To: STDS-1904-2-TF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [1904.2 TF] Proposed baseline for IEEE 1904.2

I’m okay with this approach.

What would we call the functional block that is currently labeled “UMT Sublayer”?

On Aug 20, 2018, at 6:16 PM, Glen Kramer <000006d1020766de-dmarc-request@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

We probably should not use the word “layer” in this case. Layers are defined in OSI reference model and there are exactly seven of them (Physical, Data Link, Network, Transport, etc.) What 802 did and what we should do as well, define sublayers for those OSI layers. For example, 802.3 split the physical layer into several sublayers: PMD, PMA, PCS, and RS. Similarly Data Link was split into MAC, MAC Control, OAM, MAC Client sublayers.

We also should not use the word “system”, as it generally encompasses operations at both the transmitting end and the receiving end and includes all layers in a device.
To keep the terminology and the layering model consistent with other closely-related standards, I suggest we enclose the entire UMT functionality in a sublayer called “UMT sublayer”. That will be the total thing that 1904.2 will define.

Within the UMT sublayer, as it is typically done, we will define multiple “functional blocks”. These blocks, as well as their connections will be illustrated in a figure called “UMT functional block diagram”. That figure will be similar to what is now shown in Figure 4-2.

-Glen