Re: [1904.2 TF] VLANs and UMT Sublayer

Glen,

After re-reading your email, I am confused, again.

Why do you reference figure 11-1?

Specific to the scenario I posited: 802.1Q-2018 Clause 6.3 specifically says that “A VLAN-aware end station can use the EISS Multiplex Entity (6.17) to provide multiple SAPs, one per VID of interest, to separate MAC Clients”. I am confused why you did not reference this in your response.

I specifically asked how the proposed 1904.2 layering diagram aligns with the 802.1 layering. Figure 11-1 does not help clarify the relationship between UMT and 802.1Q.

Figure 11-1 is specific to describing the operation of MVRP. MVRP would be only tangentially relevant to VLAN tagging operation and only if it is deployed in the end station. Ultimately, MVRP exists, if implemented/deployed, to support the EISS, so referencing MVRP doesn’t seem to actually answer the questions I am asking.

You have previously indicated that UMT Sublayer didn’t need to participate in MVRP and that UMT Sublayer’s tag manipulation is transparent to 802.1Q. However, I am wondering, if MVRP is  in use and UMT Sublayer is adding VLAN tags, how the rest of the network is expected to know about those tags such that the intermediate switches will accept UMT’s VLAN tags for forwarding to the next hop. Should there be a requirement that UMT cannot add a tag if that VLAN is not also configured in MVRP?

--kan--

--

Kevin A. Noll

Sr. Director, Systems Architecture