RE: [1904.4 TF] [EXTERNAL] Action item #44

Generally, the OLT pulls the ‘capability’ information if and when it needs it. A particular ONU can register and operate without OLT querying any capabilities at all.

In this particular example, we need to discuss few issues separately.

1)      Should aMauType be treated as ‘HW capability’ type of attribute or as ‘Dynamic Configuration query’ type?  It is a base attribute defined in 802.3, and .3 does not make a clear distinction (In 802.3 ‘capabilities’ means a different thing – it is a group of packages, where each package represents a collection of related attributes and features)

We can decide to treat this attribute as a capability or as a configuration. If we treat it as capability, then for the pluggable optics case, this attribute would report “unknown”. And then the specific module plugged in would be queried separately. To query a plugged module, I suppose the ONU OAM would need to read a certain field in the module’s ROM. It is almost like the “UNI Label description” TLV we discussed yesterday, but this time, the text would describe the installed module.

If we decide to treat this module as configuration, we would just report the current state, i.e., the specific module that happens to be plugged in. We would use any one of the pre-defined enumerated values from 802.3, 30.5.1.1.2. This seems easier, but it does not convey to the NMS the information that a specific module is pluggable or fixed.  Even so, I think this approach would be more consistent with how aMauType is used in general.

2)      How OLT would know about changed configuration or conditions?
According to OAM protocol, the ONU is not allowed to generate a response (i.e., a variable container TLV) without receiving a request first. So, the ONU cannot just volunteer any query responses on its own. But ONU can generate alarms and piggy-back them in any OAMPDUs, including the keep-alive OAMPDUs. Usually, the approach is that any change/event worth knowing about has an associated alarm. There is a number of such event codes:

An alarm is generated when event occurs and again when even clears. So, in our specific example about pluggable optics, LoS state can persist for a long time (days), but NMS would query the optics type when it receives the alarm that the LoS event has cleared, i.e., when the signal is detected again. Or it can query it anytime when a technician tries to debug a customer complaint remotely.

Glen