RE: [1904.4 TF] comment against 802.3ca to fix the ONU re-registration issue

Here is how I understand the possible use cases related to ONU registration

1) NORMAL DISCOVERY (AKA Discovery and Registration) is a two-step process:
	- Discovery step includes exchange of DISCOVERY and REGISTER_REQ messages
	- Registration step includes exchange of REGISTER + GATE and REGISTER_ACK
messages.

2) DIRECT DISCOVERY is similar to Normal discovery and is also a two-step
process. But the first step sends DISCOVERY MPCPDU with ONU’s MAC address.
This use case avoids contention during the discovery window, but it assumes
that ONU’s MAC address is known to the OLT.

3) DIRECT REGISTRATION is used when the OLT has prior knowledge about the
ONU. That knowledge must include all the parameters that REGISTER_REQ would
normally carry (MAC addr, Pending envelopes, laser on/off times) and also
the derived parameters that OLT usually obtains during the discovery step:
RTT and RSSI group for that ONU. The Direct Registration process only
includes the exchange of REGISTER + GATE and REGISTER_ACK messages.  Since
the ONU is unregistered (does not have a PLID assigned) the REGISTER is
transmitted on DISC_PLID with unicast MAC DA.

4) RE-REGISTRATION use case allows OLT to update various parameters in a
registered ONU that were originally set during Normal Discovery, Direct
Discovery, or Direct Registration. For example OLT/NMS may decide that it
needs to change the PLID or MLID assigned to the ONU, or change the
durations or Sync Periods  Sp1Length, Sp2Length, Sp3Length.  In this use
case, REGISTER MPCPDU with Flag=ACK is sent to a registered ONU on the ONU’s
specific PLID. The re-registration process can also be used to check the
MPCP protocol health (in addition to GATE/REPORT exchange). While GATEs and
REPORTs are typically handled by HW, REGISTER and REGISTER_ACK may be
handled by SW.

5) DEREGISTRATION is used to deregister an ONU. In this use case, REGISTER
MPCPDU with Flag=NACK is sent to a registered ONU on the ONU’s specific
PLID.

The cases 1, 2, 3, and 5 are already supported by the existing .3ca spec.
Case #4 is described in 802.3ca text (as I showed on slide 2) and it is
supported by the ONU Registration state diagram (as I showed on slide 4).
But the OLT Registration state diagram had a bug and didn’t allow sending
REGISTER with Flag=ACK. That’s what I propose we fix.  Note that this
problem is a technical error to be fixed. It is not an attempt to add a new
feature.

Glen