[1904-ANWG] Supporting multiple ONUs from remote OAM manager

Glen,

In our previous email exchanges we discussed how UMT could support a use case in which a remote “OAM Manager” is managing multiple ONUs on an EPON. Reference the attached diagram.

In my understanding of OAM, there is a one-to-one relationship between OAM instances. In other words, there must be an OAM instance in the “Manager” for every ONU that is being managed. Further, there is a one-to-one relationship between the MAC and the OAM entity.

If these two statements are correct, then does it correctly follow that the “Manager” would need multiple instances of MAC+OAM+UMT?

If multiple MAC+OAM+UMT instances are required on the “Manager”, then does that mean that the “Manager” needs to have a NIC card for each ONU that is to be managed or could a “virtual” MAC be established for each? If a “virtual MAC” is the solution, then is there a standard to which we can point to support this?