From: Duane Remein [mailto:dremein@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 25 September 2010 00:38
To: STDS-P1904-1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [IEEE1904.1] Powersaving Ad Hoc - Sleep Protocol

  All,
I would like to suggest that we strive for as simple a sleep protocol as
possible, this strategy has always served Ethernet well in the past.
With this in mind I would like to propose that we only allow the OLT to be
the sleep cycle initiator (this is required for "synchronized" sleep
anyway).  We should encourage (require?) the OLT to initiate the sleep
cycle(s) often and with liberality.  By this I mean the OLT should not
presume upon the ONUs desire to stay awake, even if the OLT believes the ONU
will be receiving data in the near future.  The real decision to Sleep or
not to Sleep should belong to the ONU.  In essence I suggest that the OLT
send the ONU a "hall pass" to sleep and the ONU decides if
it wants to sleep or not.   It would be very simple to include a field
in the sleep invite to inform the ONU of impending DS data so the ONU could
take that into account.
Making this overly complicated will do nothing to keep costs down, which is
always an issue for any access technology.

Bye the way I had an action item to investigate various timers in the MPCP
which might have relevance to sleep.  I've only found four, see the attached
MS Word doc for a quick summary with xref. to 802.3.  Basically there are
three 50 ms timers and one 1 sec timer.  Two of these are defined as
constants but I think it would be very simple to ask 802 to redefine them as
variables with default times set to 50 ms or 1 sec as appropriate.  I don't
believe this would impact any state diagrams in the 802.3 spec.

Best Regards,
Duane