Re: [IEEE1904.1] Powersaving Ad Hoc - Sleep Protocol

Duane,

Thanks for the excerpts from 802.3 text on timers.  It appears that
these timers can accommodate the powersaving scheme ... ie.

1. mpcp_timeout: it is necessary for the OLT to receive an MPCP message
from the ONU at least once per second in order to maintain registration.
So for "deep sleep" there is an issue as you say, and for the other
modes there shouldn't be any problem.

2. gate_timeout:  The OLT generates a (possibly empty) GATE for a
particular ONU at least once per 50 ms.   This poses no particular
problem.

3. report_timeout:  The ONU is supposed to generate a REPORT at least
once per 50 ms.  However the OLT does nothing if the REPORT is not
received.  When the ONU is sleeping, the PHY is in a management state
that is not transmitting so the MPCP layer can be regarded as compliant.

Jeff