Re: [1904.2 TF] UMT Discovery protocol

From: Marek Hajduczenia [mailto:marek.hajduczenia@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2015 12:07 PM
To: Glen Kramer; STDS-1904-2-TF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [1904.2 TF] UMT Discovery protocol

Glen,

Some feedback on your questions / comments:

1)      Some operators explicitly filter any frames in upstream transmitted with multicast address(es). That is done to prevent users from sourcing multicast content from their home and causing overload on the routing plane. To make UMT work across edges of L2 domains, we will need to define specific forwarding rules for broadcast UMT traffic, but I would suggest we avoid multicast addressing. Broadcast we control and know how to handle today (ARPs, DHCP, etc. ) but multicast would require specific new ACL rules on the edge to assure that such frames are not dropped.

GK: We also use well known multicast addresses for all MAC Control frames and for OAM frames. Here is the listing of all the assignments: http://standards.ieee.org/develop/regauth/grpmac/public.html .  Seems all L2 control protocols get L2 group address different from broadcast. I saw that  1905.1 also reserved an address for their control protocol:  01-80-C2-00-00-13 Transmission of IEEE 1905.1 control packets.

[mh1022] These are link local messages only, i.e., they are not transmitted across multiple L2 hops. I am not sure how legacy devices would behave with a new multicast address that is currently on reserved list – I’d assume they would just drop such frames, not knowing what to do with them.

GK: Not sure I agree. A protocol that uses each group address determines whether it is link-local or not. MAC Control and OAM consume the frames and don’t forward them. That makes it link-local. If they don’t consume a frame, that frame is forwarded.  Most of the addresses listed on RegAuth website are not link local.

2)      I am not sure a new Ethertype is required. I would use a subtype (say, 0x00) for control traffic and keep it within the same Ether domain. Let’s not create too many protocols – it would be a hard sale to get two Ethertypes, especially when the volume of control traffic is not that extensive here outside of discovery phrase.

GK: I would agree.

3)      As indicated in 1), I believe we will need to flood only ports designated as UMT ports. Otherwise, UMT will leak into whole L2 domains, creating potentially broadcast storms in multiple locations. A really bad thing to have, and we would need to keep running spanning trees to prevent the occurrence of loops. Today, we have redundant links, but they are controlled at IP+MPLS level for traffic engineering, but from L2 perspective they might create loops. It is a complex topic once you leave the access and move into metro and core networks.

GK: A UMT-aware intermediate device should forward this frame to only one port – toward its UMT Domain Controller (assuming they themselves have already discovered the UMT Domain Controller)

I assume a non-UMT-aware device has to flood it to all ports except where the message arrived from. Are there other possibilities?

[mh1022] Ah, that is the case of flooding you are referring to. I assume then this flooding would be constrained to within L2 broadcast domain and not traverse multiple L2 domains. In short, a node would flood discovery message into its local L2 network, and then only designate selected ports of UMT ports, depending on where the response comes from (if any). Does that sound about right?

GK: L2 flooding is always constrained to L2 Broadcast domain. The question is whether UMT Domain is the same as L2 broadcast domain, or whether L2 Broadcast domain can be broken into multiple UMT domains.

Slide 2 does not show CNU discovery stage. I assume that UMT discovery is sent by FCU when a new CNU is discovered. Is that a correct assumption? Or rather is the initial 3 message sequence intended to register FCU as an UMT node with the controller and enable for UMT transport for CNUs that are discovered and register later on?

GK: The second case. In this diagram, FCU is a UMT-aware device and registers with the UMT Domain Controller first. Then, when CNU tries to register, the FCU just forwards the UMT-QUERY towards the UMT Domain Controller, which it already knows. The diagram shows establishment of two tunnels: one from server-side end point to the FCU, another is from server-side end point to the  CNU.

[mh1022] Can we add dashed boxes around individual phases for simpler understanding?

GK: Done. The updated version is posted at http://www.ieee1904.org/2/meeting_archive/2015/02/tf2_1502_kramer_3a.pdf

Marek