From: stds-1904-4-tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <stds-1904-4-tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Marek Hajduczenia
Sent: Thursday, July 1, 2021 7:17 AM
To: 'Glen Kramer' <000006d1020766de-dmarc-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; stds-1904-4-TF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [EXTERNAL] RE: Service port types

CAUTION: The e-mail below is from an external source. Please exercise caution before opening attachments, clicking links, or following guidance.

The only thing that comes to mind (and I hate to throw it in) is the case of a service port connecting to an embedded Ethernet switch. In this case, a single service port would be “split” into multiple UNI ports. The question on how to address individual UNIs is a separate challenge, since from the ONU perspective, they all look like a single service port. However, this is precisely what drove the addition of aPhyType attribute to address the case of a single service port terminating on a 1:2 Ethernet switch, where one UNI port is implemented as a pluggable cage and another UNI port as a standard RJ45 jack.

If we want to support such a scenario, we also need to consider if we want to be able to address individual UNI ports behind such an embedded Ethernet switch or not. It seems like a bit of a stretch for our scope of work, but on the other hand it is still part of an ONU 😊

Marek