Action item #10 discussion

Good morning, 1904.4 TF members,

Per discussion on the call last night, I started looking at subclause 9.3 protection to see what needs to change to accommodate Nx25G-EPON protection. I made a few changes tracked in the attached document, mostly to fix any issues identified in the document (editorial) as well as align with the IEEE Std 802.3ca text as published.

Below is the outline of my major changes / observations

  • Most (if not all) Clause 9 cross references are broken. It seems that the 2016 edition of 1904.1 was broken during the publication process, where cross-references cannot be automatically updated any more. This also resulted in one of tree protection schemes becoming unassociated with any profile in 1904.1. In 1904.4, I suggest that section to be altogether deleted, since it was originally associated with Profile B in 1904.1.
  • I updated MPCP primitives to match definitions provided in 802.3ca – I believe this will make the text cleaner.
  • There is no Signal Detect Threshold defined for ONU receivers in 802.3ca – I assume we will just drop the Optical LoS tracking requirement for the ONU side, since we do not have now anything to point back to in the physical layer spec.

Please let me know if there is anything unclear. As it is, I believe subclause 9.3 could be mostly reused with minimum development effort, but requiring the multi-channel Nx25G-EPON system to behave as a single wavelength system.

Regards

Marek